Last night I decided to make the Yellow Curry Shrimp and Green Pea Soup from Rocco DiSpirito’s Now Eat This! Diet book. It was very easy & quick to make. Perfect for a weeknight dinner. When I ran it through the recipe builder it came out to be 6 pointsplus per serving. (using 0% Fage). Based on the nutritional info in the book it’s 7 pointsplus – again probably the Greek Yogurt. (BTW, on every recipe he also includes the pointsplus values!)
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste, such as Karee Curry Paste
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into small dice
- 3 cups low-fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned peeled plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt, such as Fage Total
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the curry paste. Add the onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, lime juice and agave and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook till they are no longer translucent, about 1 minute. Add the peas and cook for another minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yogurt. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the cilantro over the soup.
Don’t make the mistake I did & get 0% Fage Greek Yogurt. I guess out of habit I automatically reach for 0% for everything, but this is not something you want 0% for. Instead of “melting” and giving it a little bit of a creamy texture it had little curdles in it. I’m sure it didn’t effect the flavor – just made it look a little “eh”.
Now my review – easy of preparing – 10. I wish all meals were this easy to prepare! Taste, well, it’s got some strong flavors. I normally like curry, but never had it in a soup, so I knew it would be something “new”. Did I like it – it’s ok. Would I make it again, probably not.
This weekend I’m going to try the Spicy-Sweet Linguine alla Vodka – of course I need to get 2% Fage – not making that mistake again! 😛